Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Let there be Light


It seems that there is one thing that many girls of my Generation share beyond Barbie, it is the American Girl Doll. I was definitely one of the obsessed. I got my first of the books in 1st grade and it was a set of all of the dolls available at the time, the Christmas books. I devoured them. I bought more, from the scholastic book magazine through school and at museums.  Of course every girl has her favorite. Mine was Samantha. I had all her books and I wanted a Samantha doll more than anything. I earmarked the magazine, dropping not so subtle hints that I wanted her. I wanted her because she was sophisticated, she like me liked to climb trees, she made her own ice cream, she loved to help her best friend, she helped those in need and most of all because she looked like me, brown hair and eyes. I had her craft book, and I eventually I got her bed, (the brass one, not the new one Mattel just put out, where is the class?).  I loved that doll, she is probably the only reason I can braid hair today, since she is how I practiced until I could do them.
Samantha Parkenton Property of American Girl
                                                 

My family however made it out that they had other plans the year I got her. I don’t even remember what year it was but I remember getting mad anytime they even suggested that they purchase one of the other dolls. My dad wanted me to get Molly, because she was during World War II (I think he was predicting my college thesis with her.) I didn’t like her because I felt bad since her dad was away fighting and she also wore Glasses and I was still angry I had to wear them myself. I think my Grandpa K said I should get Felicity because she was during the time that made American Revolution. I don’t think he actually cared which one I got but he was just trying to help my parents throw me off track that I was going to get Samantha. My mom and my Aunt however wanted me to get Kirsten.
Kirsten Larson property of American Girl Dolls.


There reasoning was sound and the truth was I would have been happy with a Kirsten doll because she was my second favorite but I wasn’t going to let them know that. They wanted me to get a Kirsten doll because she like my Grandma K was from Sweden. Alright Grandma wasn’t from Sweden but her parents were. She was a farmer, like most of my family has been, she was blond haired, my entire Swedish side all as brown hair, and she was kind. I can tell you very little about any of the books now but two of Samantha’s stories and one of Kirsten’s still ring in my mind. Kirsten’s is about St. Lucia.
Kirsten Larson in the St. Lucia costume from Surprise for Kirsten property of American Girl Dolls


If I could go back and talk to my Grandma K. I would ask her what she knew about St. Lucia and other Scandinavian traditions. When we were cleaning out her house we did find a white angel looking thing in a plastic bag. I think this was her family’s representation of St. Lucia, the Saint of light. I know very little about the story of the St. herself but this I do know on the beginning of the darkness (around the Winter Solstice) the youngest girl, sometimes dresses up in a white gown with a red sash around her waist with a crown of candles on the top of her head, comes forth with treats for the rest of her family. I think I like that idea, that no matter how dark our lives may be there is always some kind of light. I fell in love with the American Girl dolls because of that idea, that these girls were living in an uncertain world where everything was changing but they each found a light to share. Pleasant Rolling provided us that when she created the company, sometimes we have trouble finding the light but like all things finding tradition in simple things can give us that light we have been looking for. I may not be able to ask my Grandma about St. Lucia and if she celebrated it but I can Thank Kirsten for teaching me about her and connecting me at least a little bit to my Scandinavian side.
And Happy Yule to all of my followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment