Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Kitchen cooking hack : eggs


When I was little my brother and I spent a lot of time watching PBS, “Are you being served?”, The bucket woman, This Old House, Norm’s work shop, the best of the Ed Sullivan show, the many children’s shows available during our childhood and one wise woman named, Juliet Child. Everyone knows when she married she couldn’t even boil an egg. I will also be honest with you, four years ago neither could I. I had three eggs, scrabbled, omelet and omelet scrambled. Then four years ago I was at a job interview and they were asking about my gardening skill, my sewing skills but although they told me I would have to cook they asked me nothing about my cooking skills. I remember praying that they didn’t ask me if I knew how to cook or bake. I didn’t know how to tell them I knew how to do a blind hem stitch but couldn’t even boil an egg.

Once training began though I told my trainer I didn’t know one thing about cooking. I knew how to follow directions but other than that forget it. She smiled and told me I would be alright like other things she would be there to teach me. One of the first things she did get to teach me was how to boil eggs and she showed me a really simple and easy way not only to time it but also how to tell they’re done. Simple words place eggs in water, bring to boil for 5 minutes, let sit in hot water for 30 minutes, pull out and watch the steam rise, if the water the wicks away from the eggs with-in few seconds they’re done.

In modern words because this was us using an open fire, I have it down to this and you will always come up with perfect eggs.



Place eggs in water and bring to a hard boil. If you are in the kitchen you will hear it.




Set the timer for 4 minutes. When the timer goes off turn off the burner.

Set the timer for another 4 minutes.  Meanwhile set up a bowl filled with cold water. I add a little ice to my water.



When the timer goes off, scoop the eggs out of the boiling water and if you have kids around it can be fun to let them watch water steam off the eggs. Place them in the ice water and let them sit for 30 minutes.



Congrats, perfect hard boil eggs.

Maybe my next food blog will be my egg salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment