Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Time Check...

I was unpacking boxes from my move and I found something interesting. Well I found a lot of interesting things but something not only grabbed my attention but it also made me laugh. It was a USA Today newspaper from Monday November 28, 1983 that was wrapping some of my grandma's glasses. That is over 30 years ago, I wasn’t born, I wasn’t even a thought, my parents may have been engaged but definitely not married yet and other then yellowing and the date didn’t look much different from today's. See that is the thing I love about the past we think we are so far removed from things going on but we really aren’t.

Yea technologies change, (the Internet didn’t really exit in 1983), and locations of war change, (we were at the end of the Cold War and the War on Terror was not even beginning), Clothing styles are always changing but moments in life those don’t change We get mad, we get sick and things happen. We fight the daily tasks, work to keep a roof over our head, put food on our table, heat our homes and keep water flowing. Some of these things are easy, some not so and some have changed a lot through history. I think that is sort of why I laughed as I looked at the paper. One look and I wasn’t quite sure what year it was written.

Why? Well let me tell you what the three topics on that day’s page on 4D. “Teens have mixed views toward homosexuality”, “Corn my hold clue to wheat allergy cure”, and “Winter: Season of discontent for diabetes”. In recent months these topics have just as page 4D topics as they were. The first one opened that people felt homosexuality was a choice, and then went on to statistics on how people felt about it. Glad to say those statistics. The second was a South Carolina scientist who was looking at if the fact there wasn’t as many carbohydrates as corn did and if that was why wheat caused a bad reaction. Glad to say or sad to say this was confirmed true. The final one was looking at how 70 percent of all new cases of insulin-dependent diabetes strike the young between November and March and warned that the symptoms of diabetes could be confused with the flu or gastroenteritis and so hospital should be careful to make sure to check for diabetes because untreated a “victim” could go into a diabetic coma and perhaps die. One I have never thought my diabetic family members as victims and two untreated anything can kill you.

The page in question. 


So there you have it time moves forward but not always topics in the newspapers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment