Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Knitting without needles?


So in the ever expanding adventure of being a knitter I have struck out and created the most epic of all of my knitting projects. Well the start of an epic project. A few years ago I bought a kit to make a Tudor era (1485-1603) knitted waist coat (basically a sweater by todays standards) at Plimoth Plantation. I came up with the idea more recently to knit it the way they would have this means no pin needles (1800s) and no circulars (1940s).

The first problem I have come across with this idea, is that the average needle you purchase today is well 7 inches, you can find longer but they were either 10 inches (still too short for a sweater) or I couldn’t find how many inches it was supposed to be. I found some on amazon but the description was not enough to make me consider risking a purchase so what to do I need needles around 15 inches. Time for the Old Yankee in me to make an appearance, Need something you can’t buy, make it.  

Pick a sharp knife


I started with dowels from Jo-Ann's (you can get them at any arts and craft store or hard ware store.) Remember to bring your needle gage reader so you have the right size that you need. I needed size 8. I tried a few dowels in my needle gage till I found the right size. Now needles when working with double pointed always seem to be worked in 5s. Four needles hold the project and one rotates. Although needless (sewing or knitting) haven’t survived as far as I know all painting and logic show that if you knit you would at least buy a set of 5. This meant I needed to buy 3 dowels. Three dowels cut in half would give me 5 needles and one extra in case I messed up.

Mark and cut...



So first I measured, this is where the old phrase measure twice cut once come into play. I measured more than twice and my cuttings were still a little screwy. I cut each dowel in half or sort of in half give or take a 1/8th of an inch. Hey I take after my grandmothers not my grandfathers, I knit I don’t build. However, they were enough to make me happy. Then I took out my jackknife, (Alright I took out my jackknives and checked the blades to find the sharpest one) and started wildling the tips down. If you are going to do this yourself make sure the knife is sharp, a dull knife is far more dangerous then a sharp one. Another hint for this mark where you want the decrees in needle to start and work from the tip back. I had to keep reminding myself to go slow and I had a few mishaps but I was happy with the outcomes.

Widdle slowly


End result five long double each a little bit of a different size than the others but other than some wood dust on my floor and a few miscalculations I am happy. Hey any time where I work with a knife and I don’t draw blood is a victory in my book. Now to start on my Grass (Green) Tudor Knitted Waist coat…. after Christmas.

Finished product... with a machine Made one.

No comments:

Post a Comment