Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mending Jeans

So I was doing my laundry and noticed that my jeans were starting to wear through and would probably tear in front of people and do a big reveal for all to see the next time I wore them in public. Now most never realize when their clothes are doing that or when they do they toss them out but a good pair of jeans can easily run you $20 bucks and when those jeans make you feel good your even more wary to part with them . So here I am with a worn out pair of blue jeans, choosing to go with the $2.00 and a little time option.

Yep that is right. With a little time, a sewing machine and some heavy duty thread you can repair those jeans. Now for this job you will need

·         A sewing machine that can do a zig zag stitch
·         Regular thread (I am using Dual Duty 100% Polyester black)
·         Denim thread (I am using Dual Duty Plus Denim thread 68% Polyester and 32% cotton)
·         Your worn jeans
·         Scissors

End result and the settings on my machine

Alright lets begin
1.      
     Take the regular thread and place it on the bobbin. This will be the underside of the stitching.
2.      Thread your denim thread through the machine. This is what will be seen on the outside.
3.      Set your machine to the highest stitch per inch but the widest your zig zag will go. So on mine that is 20 for the stitch and five for the zig zag. I also put my foot onto fine, it gives me a little more control over the moving of the jeans
4.      Place your jeans in the machine and start stitching, moving back and forth over the hole. Try to keep your fabric taunt as you move it because it can get pulled together a bit as you sew. You can still wear them after but it might feel a little strange at first.
5.      When done cut the threads and knot them on the inside. Clean up any stray threads.
6.      Wear them out in public and no one will notice that you just saved yourself an easy 20 bucks.

See with a little time and a little thread old and worn can become new again.


No comments:

Post a Comment