Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Looking Back

I was recently going through things on pintrest and came across a Meme. It simply said Bush and Clinton are running for President, Jurassic Park is number 1 and Terminator comes out next month what year is it? I couldn’t help but laugh, and then I thought, and The Man from U.N.C.L.E comes out next month and Star Wars comes out in December and the number of remakes, reboots and comic movies and T.V. shows that have come out in the last few years  are staggering. We have rebooted the Odd Couple, a number of T.V. stations have dedicated their time to old television shows from ME TV to TV Land. We are stepping back in time in such proving that nostalgia can pay.



I mean my blog lives on nostalgia, and the past. For a culture that is constantly moving ahead, we are always looking behind. I think in some ways it is a good thing though (not that I am biased or anything). There are some times when looking behind can save us. I have used new sewing machines, I don’t think they can hold a candle to my very old but very good Singers. I have had to bring my ‘90s Rose in for repairs 3 times and I need to do it again but have brought my ’69 easy touch in for one and a cleaning and my ’51 301 in for none. My cars are over 15 years old, I have had less problems then some of my friends who have newer cars, though when I have problems with my truck, we have big problems. (Love you Dad.)

I surround myself with my past. I do it for a living. I can tell you how to dry herbs but I can’t tell you what baseball team is playing tonight. I know about the most random fact of almost any period of history but ask me what new movie is playing I have no idea. The thing I can’t help but notice is when we do look behind. The 1950s and 60s were about looking ahead, movies about the future, sprinkled in with some nostalgia were in every theater. Now though it seems more nostalgia and less future. Why, the world is changing. The 50s saw the end of the Second World War, a baby boom and a new way of living. Everything was on the up.

Today it seems to be at a stalemate, there are days were things aren’t getting better but they aren’t getting worse. In many ways it cost the same to rent as it does to buy and many people can’t afford either. You keep your head down, hoping to get from day to day. Living in a world that is ever changing, talks of an apocalypse seem to be on everyone’s mind and yet at the same time we see that glimmer of hope on the horizon.


So bring on the nostalgia, and bring on the past, let us learn from it, use it to our advantage and make our world better. It’s only 2015 we have a long way to go.   

No comments:

Post a Comment