Friday, November 7, 2014

A Tisket, a Tasket, I've got something in my basket

In an effort to organize my life I have a number of baskets. Big, small; old, new; wood, cloth. Over the years I have been using them to organize my projects and supplies. Sewing baskets are seen in paintings, and drawing through time, mentioned in wills, probates and other data regarding the home life. Probably one of the most useful and underrated tools in any sewing room. Growing up my mom's was an old wooden cigar holder, a chocolate box and a number of cookie tins. Now I am not even going into sewing chests and cabinets.

Dutch sketch; note sewing basket on the floor.
Probably since sewing housewives have looked to storing their gadgets some where. Now I can't even begin to guess or research where the idea originated both geographic location or time. If there is anything my profession as a historian it is that they never write about what you want them to write about.  So when trying to pin down information on the history of sewing baskets it is about as easy has pin pointing the first ever cooked food. It happened, was created out of necessity, the world moved on and now we cannot live without it.

Visit with Grandma; note the shape of the sewing basket has changed,  and has a lid.
My first personal sewing basket made of cloth, in the shape of a cottage,  filled with all sorts of useful tools, and had a dragon, a unicorn and fairies on it. A gift from a family friend I still count it as my favorite but I out grew it. Now I have one I keep by my bed for doing repairs when I can't sleep.  I have a wooden one filled with my Historical reenacting supplies and a large one I got on clearance at Joanns for all my notions. Still not enough places to store all my gadgets and supplies but getting more organized.

My useful sewing baskets
So I don't know where or when the first sewing baskets came into being but I can tell you the following. They are seen in paintings dating to the 15th century. They appear in information regarding sewing around the world. The can be made out of anything, wood, cloth, sticks and they are extremely useful and mundane. Happy sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment