Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Why Sew Serious?

I am proud of the fact I make most of my own clothes. I am more confident on days I wear them and that includes my extremely large sweater with bat wings. (It was the first one I made and in true I am completely crazy fashion, without a pattern.  I did and didn't learn from that mistake, the next one was too small.) Although sewing and knitting is job number two, it is enjoyable and relaxing for me. In fact that is why a lot of people do it. The day I stop enjoying the challenge I will stop doing it.

The too small sweater

There are people though who take the art to serious.  They think there way is the only way. I have seen these people at shows. They argue with the vendors that the display is wrong, or try to convince you that the purchase you are making is from the wrong company.  Now I will admit I am a sewing snob. I only sew with singers and viking machines but I have tried brothers and bernas, liked them both. That isn't going to get me to buy anyone soon but still. With my knitting I prefer wood needles. I have less drop stitches but when I sit on them they bend or brake. Medal ones I like but I find I need more band aids and maybe a trip to the doctors.

Now seeing how my mom taught me you would think we knit the same, nope. Last year I was making baby blankets for charity and while I was crocheting trim around the edge of one I had finished knitting she picked up the one I had started on the needles. She started knitting away at a couple then went to help another girl. I finished my trim, put the blanket on the table for donations and went back to the other blanket. Now I hardly ever look at what I am knitting.  An hour later I looked down and there was two rows of twisted stitches. One was where my mom started the other where I started. Some where out there is a child with a blue blanket withÅ• two rows of twisted stitches made by a mother and daughter team.

The blanket. In between the yellow lines are the rows in question. 


So whether you sew, knit, make lace, spin, or weave remember it is for the enjoyment. There are all kinds out there and we need all kinds to keep the arts around.  As long as the way is right for you and fun don't worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment