Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Hooked on yarn.

I sew, something all my Great Grandmas, Grandmas, aunts and my mom do/did. I knit, something most do/did. I tat, something my Great Grandma G and Grandma K did. I spin, none of them do that. What I can't do is crochet.  Oh I have tried and it only works when I have an already solid garment and adding it as a trim. Oh I have lots of crocheted items but all made by someone else.

Crochet bunny from my Great Grandma E. It has been with me during every move, though one of my dogs ate it's ear, it is still my favorite of her works.

Sometimes called the poor man's lace, crochet was developed in the early 1800s and some of the earliest sources regarding it come from Dutch and German sources. Thought to be derived from an ancient method of decorated cloth called tambour it gained in popularity by the 1880s and by 1930s was being used to make socks, sweaters, blankets, rugs and more.

Tambour example


New compared to other textile arts it is has grown in popularity since the 1800s. Some argue it works quicker then knitting and although it uses less tools, only using one hook rather than 2 or more needles, they both have their merits. Both take time, love, patience and best of all yarn.

Crochet trim on one of my knitted hats.



Now as common and versatile as knitting it is done all over the world using yarn but only one hook. I will learn it.... someday.

Crochet afghan from one of my aunts. Too small for me now, I use it as a lap blanket on cold nights.



No comments:

Post a Comment