Monday, September 1, 2014

Buzzing for bees.

As a kid I loved running barefoot through our driveway and yard. My dad would call me crazy walking on our stone driveway barefooted but I didn't care. I am not going to lie either still wish I could run barefoot more often despite the dangers. In fact the only danger that worries me is broken glass. I could care less if I cut my foot on a stone, or got a thorn in there both I have actually done. I have been stung twice while walking barefoot and although it hurt, I don't care. My fondest memories involved leaving my shoes in the house, running down to the lake barefooted,  and jumping off the dock.

Joseph Holodook


The first time I was stung, it was a bumble bee. Upon learning that bumbles die after stinging and only sting when they feel threatened I felt horrible.  I have never liked bugs, though watching me at work you wouldn't know it. I am the first to sweep them into the fire or outside.  Yet for bees, dragonflies and butterflies I just loved them. I was the kid who went perfectly still hoping that they would land on me. Well not the bees but the other two.

Images found on Google images


Now for many of my loves in life bees are important.  The first is my drinks. On a a daily basis I have a juice, usually orange in the morning, and cranberry,  or grape throughout the day. Bees feed of the pollen and nectar provided by the flowers of these plants making the berries and fruits possible. Producing from the pollen they make honey for tea, bread, and so much more. The average worker bee will make only one or two teaspoons of honey in a lifetime. 1500 flowers are needed to make one pound of honey which are then covered in beeswax til needed. The wax has been used for candles and you'll find it in almost all of my sewing baskets.


So here's to those busy bees and lets save the bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment