Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Loopy Lucet

I know strange title but believe me it makes sense.  It goes back about 2 years ago. I was helping out in the visitor center at the park, I had my knitting in my purse and forgotten to check on how close to being done it was. Now it was winter meaning visitors were few and far between so about an hour before lunch time the project was done. Oops!  Unfortunately I am a twiddler so an hour later I was dizzy because we had swivel chairs and I was slowly going mad. Lunch comes I decide instead of going home to get more yarn I will go to the gift shop in the main town and get a book. I walked out with a book and lucet kit.

By the end of the day I had nothing but a huge knot and ended up googling it once I got home, and about 10 minutes later was looping and pulling away at the string. It was rather simple once I saw how to start it.

Now what is a lucet? It is a two pronged forked object that you use to make cording. Thought to be created by the vikings, who were just as much into textiles as pillaging, it dates back to the 600s (7th century) or early 700s (8th). Evidence is found scattered throughout Northern Europe until the 1400s (15th) when evidence disappears and then pops back up in the late 1500s (16th), and early 1600s (17th). It remains strong again until the end of the Victorian era, and diminishes in popularity by the 1950s.

The cords are distinctive, as is the tool. The usually two pronged fork, makes a square almost springy cord made up by wrapping and looping the thread.  Unlike other forms of cord meaning you didn't need a pre-cut piece of thread you could take it right of the spool of yarn or thread.

The tool can be made from bone as most are until the 16th century,  metal, or wood. Currently I only own one lucet, and it is made from wood. The could have designs engraved on the stem that meant something to the owner or left plain.

The cording is great for corsets/stays/bodies, ties for sleeves, or to hang things from ones belt and appropriate for any era of historical interpretation. Especially viking and early medieval.

No comments:

Post a Comment