Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Knit Wisdom


They say knitting is good for your sanity. It may help to prevent dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other mental disorders. In its history it was taught to people with mental disorders to help not only give them something to do but bring in money for the asylum. It is the rhythmic and constant motion, then if you challenge yourself by trying new patterns and as result memorizing those patterns, and there is also the fact it can be peaceful as you work and see a completed garment that are supposed to help you.



However, I question this as I try something new, anything new. A friend staring at me trying to figure out the magic happens can be as rewarding as me making the magic happen. At the same-time it can be something as simple as a dropped stitch that inspires a swear word that makes me hate the magic. A garment that comes out better then expecting is amazing for the brain and the ego. However, a garment that doesn’t fit right or stretches beyond the imagination is also amazing for deflating one’s ego. I love knits but the sanity and the wisdom of knitting can be fleeting. Here are some wisdoms I have heard, and use to help keep my sanity.

  • “You didn’t make a mistake, you made a personalization.”
  • Who cares if you make a mistake, 9 out of 10 times other people won’t notice and if they are that one, ask them if they care for a breath mint.
  • A lady never discusses the size of her stash, or at least never admits the true amount.
  • Big challenges can reap bigger awards
  • Knit according to your drink, the more wine the less complicated you should knit otherwise you will spend more time tink (unkitting cause it's knit spelled backwards) tomorrow.
  • It is perfectly sane to work on more than one knitting project at a time. It is also sane to have 2 knitting projects, two sewing projects, tatting projects and if I had two spinning wheels two spinning projects going on at the same time.
  • Knitting isn’t really exercise if it was, I would have six pack abs, buns of steel and arms of iron but if it was I would never get any gardening done.
  • It is ok to do some selfish knitting every now and then.
  • I must not take it personal when someone asks me if I am crocheting.
  • Knitting has taught me a lot of useful skills, like untangling jewelry, that is now is nothing compared to untangling yarn.
  • Just because there are images of people knitting on stilts doesn’t mean I should try it.
  • Yes I have time to do one more row… not really
  • Just because I have been sitting in this traffic jam for 2 hours doesn’t mean I should knit
  • Just because there is a pattern for knitting something, does not mean you should
  • Yes I can buy socks at Wal-Mart but that doesn’t mean one should
  • It is not ok to flip someone off for asking me if I am crocheting.
  • One should not paint their nails and then try to knit
  • Dear future boyfriend/husband I am not hard to buy for, there is yarn, knitting needles, fabric and wine, now what would you like, a sweater, pants, or beer.
  • To anyone who knows me if I flip you the finger hand me yarn and say this “K2 P2 K2 P2” Then hand me a glass of wine and walk away. If I flip you off it has been a very bad day and I will make it up to you with cookies later.
  • Just because it is on sale doesn’t mean you should buy it, never mind, buy it. Buy it all!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment