Tuesday, October 13, 2015

What is the point?

I am often asked why, what is the point? I am always asked these questions when I am sewing, knitting, and spinning. I have been asked why I do “old people” hobbies? (A question I find insulting and to you I say phewy). Yes I know I can buy clothing at Walmart (I refuse to even step in that store if I can help it). Yes I know it would be easier if I just bought the clothing but I like creating something for myself. Also I find it away to spend my time wisely I have stated before I keep knitting in my bag so I can work on things when I am in other places, my space in my living room is surrounded by the tools of my trades and it is wonderful seeing the art take shape and become something no one else can make.
KNITTING pinback BUY SOCKS FOR 2 BUCKS button badge - 1.5 inch pin:


Most recently I was spinning in public and a little boy and his mother stopped to watch and I explained how the tuff of wool I was holding was becoming a think yarn. He watched for a minute and then asked “What is the point?” I stopped my spinning wheel and looked at him, and after repeating his question, I smiled and said “You are wearing the point. Everything you are wearing was spun, by machine but before those machines all material was spun by hand on a spinning wheel or drop spindle. It was then taken and woven into cloth. That cloth can be made into your pants, your sweatshirt, or it was knitted like your t-shirt, your socks and the cuffs of your sweatshirt. Today it is all done by massive machines in factories but before the 1800s Industrial Revolution it all had to be done by hand.” I showed him spinning on the drop spindle, knitting a sock I was working on and showed him my sewing basket.

Irish women carrying 30 kilos of peat and knitting at the same time. Gaelic multitasking at its finest.
Women in Ireland carrying 30 kilos of peat on their back while knitting. Multi tasking at it's finest.


You see everyone is wearing the past, present and the future. I know it odd to think about but the magic that is making something from scratch can be fascinating. The number of people who just sit and watch whenever I am working, who ask me questions and who say it is like magic. That is our history, everyday life to someone hundreds of years ago. What comes out can be complete magic as a tuff of wool becomes yarn and that ball of yarn becomes a hat, socks or a sweater. Or it gets woven and becomes shirts, handkerchiefs, pants and so much more. So what is the point? I guess it depends on the Artisian you are asking.  Plus what else am I going to do at the doctor's office or while watching documentaries on vikings or the Big Bang Theory.

My yarn and I are very similar...as it begins to unwind, I do too. :):
from http://blog.redheart.com/donnas-dozen-hats-off/

No comments:

Post a Comment