Monday, September 21, 2015

Put a pin in it.

Decorative, beautiful, simple, handy, and useful they hold a rich tradition. Coming in all shapes, colors, and sizes who would think a pin cushion could be so complex. Alright they are aren’t that complex, they are a bit cloth stuffed with wool, cotton, scraps of cloth, maybe some wood dust and whatever else might be handy. The most common shape is a tomato. This may come from a Victorian era tradition I heard about but haven’t been able to track down the original source, of placing a tomato on the mantle to bring your new home good luck. In the winter tomatoes aren’t as plentiful so a cute little stuffed tomato would work. Then what to do with it, stick a pin in it.

My ever so useful pin cushions. ..


I have pin cushions shaped as shoes, I have two tomatoes, a turtle and little blue ones of wool that I made, and sometimes I use the arm of my chair briefly (I am sure my grandma is shaking her head on that one.) I even have one that holds small scissors. These useful tools were common in every house up until the 1960s and I wouldn’t be too surprised if even people who say they don’t have one, do. It is probably hiding somewhere in their attic and they don’t know about. Seen in paintings from just about every era in all different sizes not a lot exist from before the Victorian era but they were used.

Pincushion with place to store thread spools.


Unfortunately for us the things that get used don’t always leave evidence behind. So here is to that handy recognized tool. Off to put a pin in it.  

The Vergin Sewing, sewing pillow in her lap, pins may be in it. 1560


No comments:

Post a Comment