Tuesday, March 3, 2015

This is my temporary home...

So in December my roommates and I decided to leave our two bedroom apartment. My move was going to be bit on the big end. I am moving into a two bedroom, two bath trailer about 15 minutes down the highway. This will be my third move in 3 years, and hopefully my last for the next five to ten years as I purchased said home. In 2013 I moved back from WV and lived in my parent's Airstream at 2 different campgrounds near where I worked. Last year though I contacted a co-worker and his girlfriend and we found a place together. It has proven to be an excellent stepping stone.

Now I have spent the last three months making this move possible. Thankfully it came to pass because there are no letters after Z. I have crossed my Ts and dotted my I s, prayed to God that it would all work out and thanked my family for standing beside me when I told them my plan and then proceed to be hit with every roadblock possible. Once everything was okay,  all parties were happy there wasn't much left to do but to spend my last two days before the official signing, packing.

Immigrants arriving at Ellis Island.


Every ones dread, packing.  For nomads in our early history easy enough. They were used to it, and they needed  it to survive.  I am sure it didn't make them hate the idea any less but they had to. We all do in the end. It is part of growing up. My work husband pointed it out to visitors this summer in the best possible way though. "Why does anyone ever want to move but to make their lives better." Women move in with their men to not only be with the man they love but to secure a future in a threatening world. Even today couples move in with each other to protect each other. Children move out of their parent house to strike out on their own to better their lives, to secure an unsure future. We move to be closer to family, to have help when we need it. Then we move to get away from family because they are too involved. Every time we pack up and move on we hope and pray it is for the best. Sometimes we are wrong but sometimes it is the best thing. It gives us strength, it shows our courage and makes us wonder if we are sane. Bonus point today is we don't have to cross on a ship to move.



So as my belongs steadily moved to the packed corner and the day got closer. I count my blessings and thank the heavens above things seemed to workout. Here is to the future,  may the past make me strong enough for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment