Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Baker gonna bake

So last summer I learned how to bake bread. I even got an assistant baker job at my day job. This resulted with me spending the next two months practicing in my tiny oven in my apartment on my one good  counter space. I used one recipe just to practice the main kneading method we would be using in the bakery called folding. it called for a dutch oven to bake it in. I called my mom and she had a dark glass one I could use.

Unfortunately it broke a few weeks ago. I did briefly think about buying a new one but while home for Christmas I used my moms baking stone. This helped me decided I would rather have a baking stone. After I did some research I bought a 15" pizza stone from Hartstone. Not only was it made in the USA but also under $30 so my wallet also did a happy dance.
No knead bread just coming out of the oven.

Now I have used it a couple of times and I am in love. Now all bread used to be made in brick/stone ovens, sometimes called beehive ovens. They would typically be in a dome shape with b a small opening in the front. A fire would be set inside for an hour or more heating the oven. Once the ashes are cleaned out the operator (baker, baker's assistant,  housewife) would stick their hand in. For me 5 to 8 seconds is about 450° to 500° Fahrenheit which is what most bread recipes call for. If I can hold my hand in that long it is good to go. Now this method goes back as far as risen loaves.

Bread going into a stone oven. The woman is using a peal to insert the bread. 14th century


The idea of a baking stone, which a lot of people use for pizza, goes back to that idea. The dutch oven is supposed to give it the seal an original stone oven would but the stone helps with even out the heat. It also has shortened my cooking time down from 30 to 40 minutes to 15 to 20.

3 century B.C. Roman mosaic Note the pipe in the back, most likely the baker keeps a small fire going in the back or on the side while he is baking.

So here's to the old ways and fresh bread.



Recipe used: No Knead bread from motherearthnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment